Section 107 of the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 (Act) amended section 9(b) of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act makes runaway, homeless and migrant children categorically eligible for free meal benefits under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs and is effective July 1, 2004. In addition to establishing free meal eligibility, the Act also establishes a requirement for documenting a child’s status as runaway, homeless, or migratory.
Sign Up for Email Updates
Order Texas Homeless Education Resources
To order posters, brochures, and other materials, click here.
Barbara Wand James Homeless Student Support Scholarship
This scholarship celebrates Ms. James' 24 years of service as Director of The Texas Homeless Education Office (THEO). For more information and to donate to the fund, click here.
- Local, State, and Federal Resources to Assist in Dealing with Hurricane Harvey
- TEA To the Administrator Addressed Letter: Re: Hurricane Harvey Enrollment Guidance
- 2017-2018 Letter from TEA’s Chief Legal Counsel on School Attendance, Admission, Enrollment Records, and Tuition
- 2017-18 Charter School Letter from TEA’s Chief Legal Counsel on Admission, Enrollment, and Withdrawal
Trainings and Events
- There are no events currently scheduled. Check back later!
or schedule a training