Texas Hunger Initiative: The purpose of this report is to provide an in depth look into the UHY population and the barriers they face in accessing SNAP, as well as to provide recommended next step to address these barriers at the local, state, and federal levels. The main parts of this report include a review of existing literature and relevant policies, information gathered from a survey in which individuals working with homeless youth indicate their familiarity with youth SNAP eligibility in addition to barriers they have observed, and proposed recommendations and next steps to help address the identified barriers.
Sign Up for Email Updates
Order Texas Homeless Education Resources
To order posters, brochures, and other materials, click here.
Barbara Wand James Homeless Student Support Scholarship
This scholarship celebrates Ms. James' 24 years of service as Director of The Texas Homeless Education Office (THEO). For more information and to donate to the fund, click here.
- Local, State, and Federal Resources to Assist in Dealing with Hurricane Harvey
- TEA To the Administrator Addressed Letter: Re: Hurricane Harvey Enrollment Guidance
- 2017-2018 Letter from TEA’s Chief Legal Counsel on School Attendance, Admission, Enrollment Records, and Tuition
- 2017-18 Charter School Letter from TEA’s Chief Legal Counsel on Admission, Enrollment, and Withdrawal
Trainings and Events
- Mar 28 McKinney-Vento 101: Understanding the Rights of Students Experiencing HomelessnessWebinar
- Apr 09 McKinney-Vento School Selection RightsWebinar
- Apr 17 Supporting the Education of Unaccompanied Homeless Students Experiencing HomelessnessWebinar
or schedule a training