The U.S. Department of Education has released its Foster Care Transition Toolkit, a resource aimed at providing useful supports for foster youth pursuing college and career opportunities. While geared towards foster youth, many of the resources are equally appropriate for homeless youth, as foster and homeless youth often face similar challenges when transitioning to college and career opportunities.
While the toolkit covers a variety of topics, its Securing Housing chapter may be particularly valuable for college students at-risk of or experiencing homelessness.
Other chapters include:
- Transition Planning: Take Charge of Your Future
- Accessing Educational Opportunities
- Finding Job and Career Support
- Managing Your Money
- Obtaining Essential Documents
- Building a Support Network
- Securing Housing
- Taking Care of Your Physical and Mental Health
- Getting Where You Need to Go
The Foster Care Transition Toolkit is available for downloading at http://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/ed/foster-care/youth-transition-toolkit.pdf.