School accountability is a policy tool with extraordinary power to reshape schools – for good and for bad. Systems are driven by accountability measures. This is particularly so under “reform” conditions. Passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) brings with it concerns and issues about what will and should be done to ensure that every student succeeds. The months ahead are a critical time for reversing the marginalization and fragmentation of student and learning supports that policies over many years have created. Detailed discussion relevant to these concerns started with the rule-making related to Title I. The U.S. Department of Education issued a Request for information “seeking advice and recommendations for Title I regulations under ESSA.” While only a small part of the new act, it does call for a focus on what widely are referred to as “nonacademic” indicators (see Exhibit A). This is an especially important matter for those eager to expand accountability as a step forward in broadening school improvement efforts, especially those related to student and learning supports and whole child development.
Sign Up for Email Updates
Order Texas Homeless Education Resources
The Texas homeless education posters and brochures are in the process of being updated to reflect the current ESSA and state law provisions. The target release date is Fall 2019. An updated ordering process will be made available soon.
Barbara Wand James Homeless Student Support Scholarship
This scholarship celebrates Ms. James' 24 years of service as Director of The Texas Homeless Education Office (THEO). For more information and to donate to the fund, click here.
- Local, State, and Federal Resources to Assist in Dealing with Hurricane Harvey
- TEA To the Administrator Addressed Letter: Re: Hurricane Harvey Enrollment Guidance
- 2017-2018 Letter from TEA’s Chief Legal Counsel on School Attendance, Admission, Enrollment Records, and Tuition
- 2017-18 Charter School Letter from TEA’s Chief Legal Counsel on Admission, Enrollment, and Withdrawal
Trainings and Events
- There are no events currently scheduled. Check back later!
or schedule a training